Backing up your data and Qest4 files regularly is crucial (we recommend you do this on a weekly basis). Failure to do so could mean the loss of all your patient records if your computer crashes or you experience hard drive failure. It’s easy to transfer the data to an external hard drive or memory USB stick, to ensure your vital client data and records remain safe. This article explains first how to back up the entire program, and then how to back up just the client information.
To back up the entire software program, including all its data:
1. Connect your external hard drive or memory stick to an available USB Port on your computer.
2. Locate the C drive on your computer.
3. Double click on the C Drive.
4. Locate the Qest4 folder.
5. Right click on it, then click Copy from the drop down menu.
6. Locate your connected external hard drive and double click on it.
7. Right click in the open space and click Paste from the drop down menu.
8. When the paste is complete, your backup is ready.
Click here to see a video showing how this can be done.
To back up just your client data:
1. Complete steps 1-4 above.
2. Double click on the Qest4 folder to open it.
3. Locate the Backup folder and double click on it to open it.
4. Once in the ‘Backup’ folder, you will then see a list of small blue cabinets with code numbers and text following.
5. To the right of the small cabinets, you will see a list of dates and times. (If this is not visible, it is important to bring up the ‘details’ option) An example of the type of file name you will see is- ‘Backup 888888.888888.cab’.
6. IMPORTANT- Your latest ‘Backup’ file will be the file which is dated and timed closest to the present day. This file is your most recent backup and will include all the data up to and including your last client. It is crucial to refer to the dates section when you decide upon which backup file to transfer across.
7. Right click on the file you would like to backup, and click Copy from the drop down menu.
8. Follow steps 6 - 8 above.